Monday 14 November 2016

Go back to school noisome creatures-Soyinka blasts Nigerians telling him to destroy his Green card

ads
Following calls for him to destroy his Green card as promised , Prof. Wole Soyinka, in a statement  titled, “Red card, green card– Notes towards the management of hysteria”, described the online commentators as “noisome creatures” telling them to go back to school.

He also maintained he will carry out his threat at his own time .Part of the statement read“Thus, failure to have torn my Green Card “the moment” that I learnt that Mr. Donald Trump had won the presidential elections of the USA. It did not matter what I was doing at the time – teaching, eating, swimming, praying, under the shower or whatever. Or a family member saying, “Wait for me!” – speculatively please, no such disturbance ever took place. If it did however, I am supposed to contact the Nigerian media – to whom I have never spoken, and who never contacted me – except one – to beg permission to pursue a realistic definition of “the moment”. Media fascism is however a subject for another day. For now, that moment having passed, I must be culpable of breaking a solemn promise. By the way, since we are on the terrain of literalism, has anyone attempted to “tear” or rip apart a Green Card? Even a Credit Card? For the average hands, that would take some doing! I have actually considered garden shears for a dramatic resolution, this being closer to my real profession,” 

On tearing the card, he said
I have been asked several times – interestingly only by the foreign media, with the exception of THE INTERVIEW – whether indeed I did make such a statement at any time, and whether I still intended to carry it out, and the answer remains a categorical ’Yes’.
‘‘If it even becomes convenient to bring it forward, I intend to do so, but please don’t come at me with plaints of time imprecision..

“I never discussed it with you, nor invited you to a private decision whose execution was already in the making.“Do not try to browbeat me. It’s a waste of time – all you have to do is immerse yourselves in my antecedents. It will not attempt to deal with the notion of an exit time-table as conceived by others.’’
 He said he failed to understand why people were so  concerned about his decision to destroy a document that belongs to him.
“I simply fail to understand why this has gone beyond a flurry of public commentary and hilarious cartoons, and turned into a masturbatory for some, a vomitory for others, and an epileptic sanatorium for a self-reproducing number,”.
 , “Let me end with a Red Card to those noisome creatures, the nattering nit-wits of Internet: maybe Trumpland is not as despicable as the Naijaland you impose on our reality from your secure cesspits of anonymity.
“Go back to school. Your problem is ignorance, ignorance of whatever subject you so readily comment upon. Learn to study your subject before opening up on issues beyond your grasp.“Sometimes you make one feel like swapping one green for another, out of embarrassment for occupying the same national space as you.’’
A few days before Donald Trump's victory, Prof.Soyinka told a gathering at Oxford University
“The moment they announce his [Trump’s] victory, I will cut my green card myself and start packing up,” .
ads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...